Wednesday, October 13, 2010

12 October 2010





It's the little things I've noticed thus far.  My perception is changing little by little.  Before I go to bed, I have to think about what I will eat the next day.  Do I need to soak some beans overnight?  I have one tomato that is getting soft-- how can I work that into breakfast?  The little things.  Like putting aside 15 minutes every time I need to fill my canteen.  The little things like conserving my legs so I won't be too sore to carry stones the next day.

I've read about villages in Africa where the women spend on average 5 hours per day collecting heavy jerry cans of water for their families.  Time.  Time that could be spent starting a business, or getting an education.  Time spent away from children, often times leaving toddlers to watch over infants, because you'd better believe if you're old enough to carry a can, you're going with mom.  If you give people clean water, you give them their time.   You give them a chance.  

Today was tough, for all the reasons I didn't want it to be.  My "real world" would not leave me be today.  I had an exam on world architecture, seven hours of class, a brother wondering what the status with his bachelor's party was, and constant reminders in the form of flapping black and white fliers, and I still need to find a subleaser for my place next semester.  This is where my breed of empathy falls short.  I want to immerse myself completely in the lives of these people.  But my life keeps getting in the way.  These are the boundaries we construct.  

Thank you to all of you who have stepped over such boundaries and talked to me over the past two days.  You keep me going.  











2 comments:

  1. Time, the only "commodity" that millions have for their survival and that so generously they dispense to any one that cares to care. Grinding the corn, making the tortillas, cooking the grains, sweeping the "house", washing the clothes of numerous people by hand, bathing the children, dressing the children,combing their hair, cooking again, doing dishes, tending to small animals, gathering water and food, putting the family to "bed", thanking God for one more day and wondering if there will be enough food tomorrow, tomorrow. Gracias señor, sé que hay otros que viven peor que yo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kwik Trip has bananas for 39 cents a pound.

    ReplyDelete