Tuesday, October 12, 2010

11 October 2010

I got to thinking about gorillas today.  Recently, I was at the Bronx zoo, and I felt captivated by the gorillas there. But the curious thing about them was that they seemed to have no interest in we humans. The silverback led his family in an utter protest of our existence and presence.  I remember looking at their hands, so much like my own, and just starting at those dejected faces. 

I found myself turning my back to the viewer a couple of times today.  After I had set up my hammock, I laid in it away from the onlookers, and I ate carrots silently.  Just like people at the zoo, the curiosity of my own viewers led them to come into my space.  I had a conversation with two young men, one stood outside of the rock barrier, the other hopped right in. the one who stayed outside thought that perhaps it was a religious barrier and didn’t want to cross it.  The one who hopped right in said "I saw him eating carrots, so I thought it was an environmental piece".  The interesting thing was that I want the viewer to come into my life, but it will take some getting used to when your home is quite literally a stage. 

My diet this week with my $2 a day limit will consist primarily of rice and beans, and a few other fresh fruits and vegetables.  I will be wearing the same white suit for the duration of the piece, so as to disassociate myself with any particular group.  My shanty has reference to those I saw in El Fortín, and other Latin American communities.  However, the materials scavenged (and sometimes purchased) definitely have a north woods feel. 

I want my message to be one of hope and empowerment.  This evening, two young women visited the shanty in complete darkness.  After a short conversation, one of them said, "I wish there were more people like you."  In reality, there are millions of people doing better things than me.  Their shanties are just not so visible. 

A special thanks to Lee Wegener for documenting my performance, and to Maria Boland for everything that she is to me.




No comments:

Post a Comment